With all the algorithm updates, changing content preferences, and memes sprouting up on social media, it can be more challenging to adapt your social media marketing strategy than it was acclimating to the awkwardness of puberty.
Despite its perpetual evolution, though, social media will always have one constant — people. For the most part, human behavior has stayed the same for thousands of years, which means the principles of psychology are unwavering. So if you want to succeed on social media, you need to focus more on the people using it than the trends changing it.
To help you develop an audience-centric social media strategy, we’ve compiled these insightful quotes about social media from executives, marketers, and even celebrities. Read on to get inspired.
Social Media Quotes
1. “People want to go on the Internet and check out their friends so why not build a website that offers that? Friends, pictures, profiles, whatever you can visit, browse around, maybe it’s someone you just met at a party. I’m not talking about a dating site. I’m talking about taking the entire social experience of college and putting it online.” – Jesse Eisenberg as Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network
2. “It’s a dialogue, not a monologue, and some people don’t understand that. Social media is more like a telephone than a television.” – Amy Jo Martin, Author of Renegades Write The Rules
3. “We get to live in a time that we get to use social media as a tool. It’s not just a face on a piece of paper, and that’s what makes you someone’s favorite model. We can have a very similar sense of humor as someone, and that’s why we’re their favorite model, or our personal style, off the runway, is why we’re their favorite.” – Gigi Hadid, Fashion Model
4. “I’m very active on social media and see the huge impact it has on engaging with fans and being able to have a voice.” – Stephen Curry, Professional Basketball Player
5. “A lot of people who are ‘social media’ stars aren’t considered to be ‘real’ stars, and people underestimate the amount of work it takes to edit and upload a video every single day and document your life like that.” – Shawn Mendes, Singer
Positive Social Media Quotes
6. “Social media is not just an activity; it is an investment of valuable time and resources. Surround yourself with people who not just support you and stay with you, but inform your thinking about ways to WOW your online presence.” – Sean Gardner, Forbes Social Media Power Influencer, AI specialist
7. “Don’t use social media to impress people; use it to impact people.” – Dave Willis, Author and Speaker
8. “Get in where you fit in and then focus on that platform.” – John Lawson, Best-Selling Author and Speaker
9. “You don’t need a corporation or a marketing company to brand you now: you can do it yourself. You can establish who you are with a social media following.” – Ray Allen, Professional Basketball Player
10. “A brand is no longer what we tell the consumer it is – it is what consumers tell each other it is.” – Scott Cook, Co-Founder of Intuit
Social Media Marketing Quotes
11. “When I hear people debate the ROI of social media? It makes me remember why so many businesses fail. Most businesses are not playing the marathon. They’re playing the sprint. They’re not worried about lifetime value and retention. They’re worried about short-term goals.” – Gary Vaynerchuk, CEO of VaynerMedia
12. “A large social-media presence is important because it’s one of the last ways to conduct cost-effective marketing. Everything else involves buying eyeballs and ears. Social media enables a small business to earn eyeballs and ears.” – Guy Kawasaki, Chief Evangelist, Canva
13. “Facebook is a discovery model platform. Its primary goal is to make the audience happy. So you’ll only get ROI if you create quality content for your audience.” –
Kelly Hendrickson, Facebook Lead at HubSpot
14. ‘Instead of getting discouraged when a promising tweet doesn’t rack up the likes and retweets, pay attention to the clicks and check how long people stay on the page after coming from social. If your post is generating strong engagement, don’t worry so much about the superficial stats.” – Tallie Gabriel, Producer at Unthinkable Media
15. “When pitching to press outlets, you need to help drive traffic through social to make it worth the effort of PR professionals. In addition to traditional outlets, publications are now generating traffic from native content within social platforms. So if you want to engage with members of the press and PR professionals today, you need to analyze their social media pages to learn what kind of content they’re sharing — before pitching.” – Ryan Bonnici, CMO at G2Crowd
16. “When it comes to social media marketing, you don’t have to post 3 times a day. It’s never about how often you post but the quality of your content.” – Janet Benson Amarhavwie, Social Media Manager
17. “You have to stop doing what everyone else is doing. Listen to your gut, go in a new direction, do something you’ve never done before. Learn from the best. Success is yours if you go in your own direction.” – Amanda Weinraub, Business Owner, Social Media Manager, Web Designer
Funny Social Media Quotes
We found these quotes on Pinterest. The authors are unknown, but they’ll still give you a good laugh.
18. “What happens on social media stays on Google forever.”
19. “Being famous on Instagram is basically the same thing as being rich on Monopoly.”
20. “I do not have a fake social media personality. I am genuinely this ridiculous in real life.”
21. “Tumblr is currently the only social media network that your parents haven’t ruined.”
22. “I log off because I’m bored. I log back on in five minutes because I’m bored.”
23. “For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, plus a social media overreaction.”
24. “Thank God for Facebook or I’d have to call 598 people and tell them how far I ran today.”
Editor’s note: This post was originally published in February 2019 and has been updated for comprehensiveness.